Wayne State University College of Education Department of General Secondary Education Office of the Chairman Records

Accession Number: 
WSR000212
Extent: 
1.5 linear feet (1 SB, 1 MB)
Date: 
1951-1969 [bulk 1960-1966]

The College of Education has functioned continuously since 1881 as a teacher-education institution. It existed as an independent school until 1929, when it became a part of what is now called Wayne State University. It received authority in 1921 from the legislature of the State of Michigan to grant the bachelor’s degree and, in 1929, to grant higher degrees in conjunction with the Graduate Division of the University. The Chairman of General Secondary Education in the College of Education at Wayne State University in the early 1960s was Dr. George L. Miller.

The College of Education, General Secondary Education, Office of the Chairman Records contain paper and photographic materials documenting student life and administrative activities within the General Secondary Education sector of the College of Education. Student-related records include documents and photographs from Freshman Camp and various student groups. Administrative records include information about various committees and projects. The most notable of these projects is the Cooperative Pilot Project in Teacher Education which began in 1958 as an effort to redesign education coursework in the College of Education at Wayne State University in order to better prepare prospective teachers for careers in the education profession.

Attachment(click to download)
WSR000212_guide.pdfWSR000212_guide.pdf135.61 KB