JCA: Jewish Family Service Records
Jewish Family Service of Metropolitan Detroit (JFS) is a social service organization for the Detroit area’s Jewish community. It was created in 1928 from the joining of the Hebrew Ladies Sewing Circle and the Self Help Circle, two early women’s social service agencies. In its early years, JFS’s specific mission was “finding homes for orphan children and supplying homemakers for families with an ill or absent mother.” Its services expanded to aiding Jewish immigrant families and, in the aftermath of WWII, it worked toward resettlement of Holocaust survivors. Beginning in the 1970s, JFS served Jewish refugees leaving the Soviet Union. Today, it is a comprehensive social service provider, helping individuals of all ages and families within the Jewish and broader communities.
The Jewish Family Service Records are made up of a variety of materials documenting the many projects and internal operations of the Jewish Family Service of Metropolitan Detroit (JFS). The Photographic Material and Major Services and Programs series reflect the organization’s special events and campaigns. The Committees and Manuals along with Inter-Agency Material series provide a window into the internal operations and day-to-day work of the JFS through correspondence, staff training booklets, and meeting records. Scrapbooks, containing newspaper clippings and photographs, highlight the notable accomplishments and prominent members of the JFS. The Architectural Records series contains oversized blueprints and drawings of several facilities constructed to expand the operations of the JFS.
|Attachment||(click to download)|