JCA: Greater Detroit Chapter of Hadassah Records

Accession Number: 
UR002790
Extent: 
17 linear feet
Date: 
1916-2018

Hadassah, the Women's Zionist Organization of America, was founded in 1912 by Henrietta Szold in New York City with a mission to provide health care to the people living in Palestine. In 1916, Szold visited Detroit and helped start a local Hadassah chapter. At first members gathered in women's homes, but by 1927 membership had reached 1,000 women. By 1944, the group had grown so large that it was no longer feasible to operate as a single chapter, and geographic groups were formed across the region. Through its fundraising efforts, Hadassah supports local charitable projects as well as healthcare, research, education and social services programs in Israel. These records document the history of the organization in the Detroit Metropolitan area, particularly from the 1950s through 1990. The collection includes administrative and fundraising records, newspaper clippings, photographs and scrapbooks, including documents pertaining to the formation and history of the chapter, pamphlets and articles, correspondence, brochures and flyers advertising events, financial reports, and publications. Part 3 contains DVDs, photographic negatives and a CD, which were transferred to the Reuther A-V Department.

Attachment(click to download)
UR002790_guide.pdfUR002790_guide.pdf280.55 KB