JCA Sinai Hospital Records

Accession Number: 
UR001813
Extent: 
36 linear ft (33 SBs, 5 MBs, 1 OS)
Date: 
1900-1999 (bulk 1950-1999)

Sinai Hospital was created out of a demand for a hospital that would provide staff affiliations for Jewish doctors and care for patients, free of the discrimination found in hospitals in the early 1900s. Through considerable fund raising over many decades, the hospital broke ground in 1951, opened in 1953 and underwent tremendous growth and development over the years. Sinai Hospital was sold to the Detroit Medical Center in 1997. It was closed in 1999 and merged with Grace Hospital to form Sinai-Grace Hospital. The records document the Detroit Jewish community's history of commitment to medical care, including the North End Clinic, and the eventual development of a full in-patient hospital and research facility. This finding aid includes Parts 1 and 2 of the records.

Attachment(click to download)
UR001813_revguide.pdfUR001813_guide.pdf850.48 KB