JCA Hillel of Metro Detroit Records

Accession Number: 
UR001815
Extent: 
13.5 Linear Feet, (9 MB, 6 SB, 1 OS)
Date: 
1943 – 2013

The B’nai B’rith Hillel Foundation (“Hillel”) dates back to 1923, when it was founded as a support system for Jewish students at colleges with small Jewish populations. In the mid-1990s, Hillel split from B’nai B’rith, renaming itself Hillel: The Foundation for Jewish Campus Life.

The Hillel Foundation at Wayne State University (WSU) was founded in 1945. Since its inception, it has undergone several name changes, including Metro Detroit Hillel, and as of 2017 it is known as Hillel of Metro Detroit (HMD). The HMD office is located in the Student Center at WSU; however, it serves six local college campuses: Lawrence Technological University, Oakland Community College, Oakland University, University of Detroit Mercy, University of Michigan-Dearborn, and Wayne State University. HMD caters to both commuter and non-traditional students, ages 18-29. It offers opportunities to connect with the Jewish community and other Jewish people through interactive programs, both on the six campuses they serve and in the community. In 1998, HMD became the first Michigan Jewish Student organization to earn accreditation.

Attachment(click to download)
UR001815.pdfUR001815_guide.pdf243.87 KB