(2504) Buildings, City Hall, Floral Clock, Detroit, 1957

A close up view of workers attending to the “Floral Clock” on the lawn of the Old City Hall Building. Part of series.

The building, a Renaissance Revival landmark created by architect James Anderson, took nearly 10 years to complete and was dedicated on July 4, 1871. Located on Campus Martius, it served as the base for most city and county government offices in Detroit until the completion of the City-County Building in 1957. It was demolished throughout August and September of 1961 amidst protest from the historic preservation community.

(2504) Buildings, City Hall, Floral Clock, Detroit, 1957
Date: 
June 11, 1957
Physdesc: 
Photograph
Photographer: 
Tony Spina
PhotoID: 
2504