United Foundation Communications Department Records

Accession Number: 
UR002534
Extent: 
46 linear feet (45 SB, 1 MB, 1 OS)
Date: 
1941-1998, bulk 1960-1991

The United Foundation (UF) has its origins in the establishment of the Detroit Community Union in 1917. The UF, called the United Way for Southeastern Michigan after it’s official name change in 1989, was formed in 1948 through the merger of the Detroit Community Chest and other Detroit charities, and came to be affiliated with the national United Way organization in 1970. UF was an umbrella organization providing funding for a wide range of social welfare agencies in the Metropolitan Detroit area, and worked closely with the United Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit (UCS), which was primarily concerned with streamlining and planning the delivery of social services in the city. The two merged in 1995 to create the UWCS, which existed until 2005, when the UWCS merged with the United Way of Oakland County to create a new body once again called the United Way for Southeastern Michigan. This final incarnation exists to this day.

The United Foundation Communications Department oversaw the creation of campaign materials, press releases, and marketing strategies for the United Foundation and it’s associated agencies. This collection, which is closely related to the United Foundation Campaign Department’s records, consists of the Communication Department’s administrative and strategic files, collateral materials from various advertising campaigns, collateral materials for associated charitable organizations, and extensive photographic and audiovisual materials utilized in UF campaigns from the 1950s to 1992.

Attachment(click to download)
UR002534.pdfUR002534_guide.pdf255.03 KB