Phi Beta Kappa Wayne State University Chapter Records
The Phi Beta Kappa Society is the oldest honorary society for the liberal arts and sciences in the United States. Phi Beta Kappa was officially installed at Wayne University on January 16, 1953 after a twenty-year effort to establish a branch of this national scholastic honorary society at Wayne. The original officers of the Wayne University Phi Beta Kappa Chapter were Professor Thelma James, President; Professor Alex Brede, President-Elect; Professor Calvin Stevens, Secretary; and Professor Edwin Walmsley, Treasurer.
The Phi Beta Kappa Wayne State University Chapter Records include the original reports on Wayne University that were submitted to the national office of Phi Beta Kappa when the university was vying for membership in 1950. This collection also contains documents relating to the history and initiation of the Phi Beta Kappa Chapter at Wayne University. Dr. William Borgman, originally a professor of mathematics and later Assistant to the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts at Wayne University, donated a portion of the records of this collection to the Reuther Library in 1959. The rest of the records in this collection were donated by Dr. Bess Allen, Secretary of the Phi Beta Kappa Chapter at Wayne State University, in 1964.
|Attachment||(click to download)|