United Foundation Agency Relations Department Records

Accession Number: 
UR002532
Extent: 
59 linear feet (59 SB)
Date: 
1948-1993, bulk 1970-1988

Walter Laidlaw established the United Foundation in 1948 through the merger of the Detroit Community Chest and other Detroit charitable organizations. The goal of the United Foundation was to centralize fund raising efforts and generate mass fund raising campaigns, such as the Torch Drive, which was first held in 1949. The United Foundation was closely affiliated with the United Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit, and became affiliated with the national United Way organization beginning with the United Way’s conception in 1970. The organization retained the name United Foundation until 1989, at which time it changed its name to the United Way for Southeastern Michigan to better reflect its associated with the national United Way. It was known as such until its merger with the United Community Services in 1995, at which point it became known as the United Way Community Services. The United Foundation’s Agency Relations Department was responsible for organizational functions related to funding and communicating with participating United Foundation agencies, including determining United Foundation funding priorities, receiving and assessing agency budget proposals, allocating funds to agencies, and maintaining relationships with participating agencies.

The United Foundation Agency Relations Department Records consists of correspondence, reports, minutes, and proposals reflecting the operations of the department, including the United Foundation’s relationship with participating agencies and the processes by which agencies requested and received funding from the United Foundation.

Attachment(click to download)
UR002532.pdfUR002532_guide.pdf205.65 KB