Women for the United Foundation Records

Accession Number: 
UR002538
Extent: 
40.75 linear feet (36 SB, 1 MB, 3 OS)
Date: 
1950-1987, bulk 1966-1982

In 1949, 17,000 women volunteers helped the United Foundation achieve success with its Torch Drive campaign. In 1954, it was decided that an auxiliary women’s group would be formed to work year-round in support of United Foundation projects. It was called the United Foundation Women’s Organization (UFWO). By 1964, the name was changed to Women for the United Foundation (WUF).

The organization works under a set of by-laws and consists of an Executive Board, Board of Directors, Advisory Board, and various committees. WUF set out to inform the Detroit tri-county community about United Foundation services and soon became instrumental in the success of several United Foundation projects. WUF volunteers participate in activities important to the goals of the United Foundation as a whole, including childcare, elder care, religious activities, community or civic programs, cultural or educational activities, and health related programs. One of these programs, originally called “Inforama” and later called “Health-O-Rama,” offers free health tests to the public and became an annual event in the 1960s with full participation by WUF in cooperation with the United Health Organization. The Heart of Gold Award is annually given to a select group of outstanding volunteers in the metropolitan Detroit area in recognition of their service. The Heart of Gold Council is in charge of determining the recipients of this award, and was established in 1967 by the WUF, the Women’s Advertising Club of Detroit, and the Central Business District Association.

Attachment(click to download)
UR002538.pdfUR002538_guide.pdf217.3 KB