Wayne State University: The South End Newspapers Photographs

Accession Number: 
Patrons must make an appointment with the AV Department prior to visiting.
6.5 Linear Feet (5 OS, 2 MB, 1 folder, 51 envelopes).

"The Collegian," the student-run newspaper of Detroit Junior College at Central High, published its first edition on March 6, 1918. At first a semi-monthly paper that printed mostly literary works, by 1922 the paper had become a weekly publication and its focus shifted to news. The paper changed its name in 1924 to "The Detroit Collegian," which reflected the school’s name change to the College of the City of Detroit. The paper underwent three further name changes: in 1953, the name changed to "The Wayne Collegian"; in 1957, the name changed to "The Daily Collegian"; and finally, in 1967, the name changed to "The South End." The paper also published summer editions: "The Summer Collegian" (1943-1967) and "Summer South End" (1968-present). The Wayne State University: The South End Newspapers Photographs consist of two series that reflect different periods in the paper's life - "The Daily Collegian" (1950-1960) and "The South End" (1970-1990).

Attachment(click to download)
WSAV002779.pdfWSAV002779_guide.pdf240.98 KB