Wayne State University Gas House Gang Records

Accession Number: 
WSR002796
Extent: 
1 linear foot (2 MB)
Date: 
1920-1972

The Gas House Gang was established in 1920 at Wayne State University’s predecessor, the College of the City of Detroit. It was an all-male social organization on the campus. This group continued until 1957. The Gas House Gang was largely a social group for men whose Constitution had four supporting purposes: to support the college to the utmost, to oppose any mode of dress “which is unbecoming to a real man”, to do their best to obtain a high grade of scholarship, and to “respect womanhood to the highest degree”. The collection includes two minutes books, 1920 to 1957 as well two booklets from reunions of the group, 1970 and 1972.

Attachment(click to download)
Gas House Gang Collection Finding Aid Final - Final Including Inventory.pdfWSR002796_guide.pdf41.68 KB