Hutzel Hospital Records
In November, 1868, seven members of the Ladies’ Christian Union opened the Woman’s
Hospital and Foundlings’ Home in a tenement at Cass Avenue and Montcalm Street, a private, non-profit institution and the first facility in Detroit dedicated to providing care and shelter for abandoned, widowed and unwed mothers and their babies. In 1965, Woman’s Hospital changed its name to Hutzel Hospital and continued its devotion to research into the diseases of women. It is now part of the Detroit Medical Center, working with other hospitals and Wayne State University Medical School to provide high quality medical care to the Detroit community.
Parts 1 and 2 of the Hutzel Hospital Collection consists of correspondence, minutes, reports, clippings, publicity,biographical information on various directors and board members and other material documenting the history of women’s health care in Detroit.
|Attachment||(click to download)|