International Institute of Metropolitan Detroit Records

Accession Number: 
UR001004_Det
Userestrict: 
Researchers must sign a Restricted Use Form and may not cite any names appearing in case records.
Extent: 
25.25 linear feet (25 SB, 1 MB)

In 1911, the national board of the YWCA established the first International Institute branch in New York City to assist the growing number of immigrant women, and in 1919, the Detroit branch opened. The purpose of the International Institute is to promote the welfare, education, and social integration of immigrant and minority peoples, both permanent residents and visitors.
The papers of Part 1 of the International Institute of Metropolitan Detroit consist of minutes, correspondence, reports, financial records, clippings, newsletters, pamphlets and other publications reflecting the activities of the Institute. The papers also reflect the Institute's work with particular groups like Japanese war brides, war refugees, Polish- and Lebanese-Americans, and others living in established ethnic communities in the Detroit area, its effort to educate metropolitan Detroiters about foreign cultures, and its campaign to fund the construction of the Kirby building.
Part 2 consists of the bulletin, "International Institute News," from 1945-1980, which was published several times a year.

Date: 
1919-1981
Attachment(click to download)
UR001004_Det.pdfUR001004_Det_guide.pdf202 KB