Metropolitan Detroit Council of Churches Records
The Metropolitan Detroit Council of Churches (Metropolitan Christian Council: Detroit-Windsor), was organized in 1919 to meet the growing spiritual, moral, and social needs of the metropolitan Detroit area. An active constituent of the Michigan and of the National Councils of Churches, by 1968 it represented more than 800 churches affiliated with 31 Protestant and Eastern Orthodox denominations from Wayne, Oakland, and Macomb counties. Departments included: strategy and planning, radio and television, family life, institutional ministries, public information, race and cultural relations, United Church men, faith and order, and the General Board of United Church women.
The records of the Council document its business operations and activities, such as religious education. Particularly reflected are interests in social services, civil rights, and housing.
|Attachment||(click to download)|