United Foundation Office of the Vice President for Administration Records

Accession Number: 
UR002531
Extent: 
21.5 linear feet, (21 SB, 1 MB)
Date: 
1972-1999, bulk 1982-1988

Walter Laidlaw established the United Foundation in 1948 through the merger of the Detroit Community Chest and other Detroit charitable organizations. The goal of the United Foundation was to centralize fund raising efforts and generate mass fund raising campaigns, such as the Torch Drive, which was first held in 1949. The United Foundation was closely affiliated with the United Community Services of Metropolitan Detroit, and became affiliated with the national United Way organization beginning with the United Way’s conception in 1970. The organization retained the name United Foundation until 1989, at which time it changed its name to the United Way for Southeastern Michigan to better reflect its associated with the national United Way. It was known as such until its merger with the United Community Services in 1995, at which point it became known as the United Way Community Services. The United Foundation’s Office of the Vice President for Administration served as the managing director of the United Foundation, and oversaw all departments within the organization.

The United Foundation Office of the Vice President for Administration Records consists of materials primarily from the tenure of Vice President Warren T. Burt. The collection demonstrates the administrative function of the United Foundation, including correspondence with the directors of other United Foundation departments, minutes and agendas documenting the proceedings of United Foundation committees and Boards of Directors, reports concerning United Foundation programs and special projects, and materials related to the United Foundation’s Long Range and Strategic Planning efforts.

Attachment(click to download)
UR002531.pdfUR002531_guide.pdf138.11 KB