(2457) Buildings, Detroit Opera House, Campus Martius, Sam's Cut-Rate, Detroit, 1966

The Old Opera House stands partially demolished as pedestrians pass by, unmoved, Detroit, Michigan.
A version of the Opera House stood at Campus Martius from 1869 to 1963. The original structure, built in 1869 by Mortimer L. Smith, was destroyed by fire in 1897 and rebuilt at the same location. The building was purchased by Sam Osnos in 1936 and served as Sam’s Cut-Rate Department Store until it was taken down in 1966 with the redevelopment of the Kern's Block.

(2457) Buildings, Detroit Opera House, Campus Martius, Sam's Cut-Rate, Detroit, 1966
Date: 
1966
Physdesc: 
Photograph
Photographer: 
Tony Spina
PhotoID: 
2457