(2505) Buildings, City Hall, Demolition, Detroit, 1961

An unidentified man holds up the metal box (time capsule) that was retrieved from the cornerstone of the Old City Hall Building. Inside the box are historical documents and bound volumes that date back to the construction of the building in 1871.

The building, a Renaissance Revival landmark created by architect James Anderson, took nearly 10 years to complete and was dedicated on July 4, 1871. Located on Campus Martius, it served as the base for most city and county government offices in Detroit until the completion of the City-County Building in 1957. It was demolished throughout August and September of 1961 amidst protest from the historic preservation community

(2505) Buildings, City Hall, Demolition, Detroit, 1961
Date: 
1961
Physdesc: 
Photograph
Photographer: 
Tony Spina
PhotoID: 
2505