(2503) Buildings, City Hall, Demolition, Detroit, 1953

An aerial view of Old City Hall., Detroit, Michigan.

The building, a Renaissance Revival landmark created by architect James Anderson, took nearly 10 years to complete and was dedicated on July 4, 1871. Located on Campus Martius, it served as the base for most city and county government offices in Detroit until the completion of the City-County Building in 1957. It was demolished throughout August and September of 1961 amidst protest from the historic preservation community.

(2503) Buildings, City Hall, Demolition, Detroit, 1953
Date: 
1953
Physdesc: 
Photograph
Photographer: 
Tony Spina
PhotoID: 
2503