(9477) Buildings, City Hall, Demolition, Detroit, 1961

The front steps and upper balcony turn to rubble as the demolition of Old City Hall progresses. Part of series.

The building, a Renaissance Revival landmark created by architect James Anderson, took nearly 10 years to complete and was dedicated on July 4, 1871. Located on Campus Martius, it served as the base for most city and county government offices in Detroit until the completion of the City-County Building in 1957. It was demolished throughout August and September of 1961 amidst protest from the historic preservation community.

(9477) Buildings, City Hall, Demolition, Detroit, 1961
Date: 
1961
Physdesc: 
Photograph
Photographer: 
Tony Spina
PhotoID: 
9477