Grace Hospital Records

Accession Number: 
UR001352
Userestrict: 
Restrictions on oral history included in the collection.
Extent: 
18 linear feet (18 SB), 1 ledger, 1 OS

Grace Hospital opened for patients in December, 1888 with seventy-five beds. It expanded rapidly over the next several decades, serving over 15,000 inpatients and 90,000 outpatients by its fiftieth year, 1938, and opening the Northwest Branch in 1942. Building additions in 1953 and 1964 made Grace the second largest voluntary non-profit hospital in Michigan. Grace and Harper Hospitals merged in 1973 and consolidated with other hospitals in the newly-created Detroit Medical Center in 1985. The Grace Hospital Collection consists of the materials relating to the administration of the hospital and the Detroit Medical Center, medical procedures and education, the activities of the Grace Hospital School of Nursing and the hospital Women's Auxiliary, and to the history of health care and hospital development in Detroit in the twentieth century. Included are 100th anniversary materials on the history of Grace Hospital and the Grace Hospital School of Nursing: seven oral histories conducted by Dr. Philip Mason.

Date: 
1880-1993
Attachment(click to download)
UR001352.pdfUR001352_guide.pdf289.22 KB